GARBAGE COLLECTION: Grey Bins
If you find that the tote is not sufficient for your waste requirements, please contact the Town Office, we would like to hear from the residents regarding size and functionality prior to finalizing the arrangements for special requests. Example: multi user residential properties such as a duplex or rental suite property.
If you are a small commercial entity and you would like to convert to a tote system please contact the office.
GUIDELINES FOR GARBAGE CART USAGE: RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY
- Use of the cart is mandatory.
STREET PICKUP: Face the front of the bin towards the street (with the wheels towards the curb.)
ALLEY PICKUP: Face the front of the bin towards the alley (with the wheels towards the fence.)
The bins also need to be placed THREE FEET away from any obstacles (just like the Triway bins).
- All materials placed in your cart must be bagged.
- NO refuse is to be placed on the top of the cart.
- Excess refuse left beside the cart will not be picked up.
Residential carts are to be placed in the BACK ALLEY prior to 8:00 am on your designated waste collection day. It should be returned to a location near your residence within 12 hours, with the lid closed.
If your household has minimal garbage, you do not have to set your cart out every week.
- Please continue recycling.
The following items are NOT to be placed in your garbage cart:
Chemicals - Building/Demolition Material - Explosives
Dirt, Rocks, Sand - Animal Carcasses - Flammable Liquids
Pesticides - Metal/Steel - Tires - Motor Oil
Electronics - Batteries - Medications
Paint - Ashes - Branches
Thank you for your cooperation. Please contact the Town Office with any questions you may have. 306-297-2605
RESIDENTIAL SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING: TRIWAYS (Blue Bins)
• Pick up will be in the Back Alley
• Front of Cart Must Face the Alley with 3 Feet Clearance of All Obstacles (this includes fence - if up against fence driver will assume cart does not need to be emptied) Check for overhead lines - there must be 14 feet of vertical clearance. (large wheels and hinge of lid are at the back of the cart - front faces the alley)
• Regular Pick Ups: Click here to download the 2020 Triways Recycling Pick Up Schedule.
• Download the Triways Residential Single Stream Curbside Recycling Brochure for information about single stream recycling.This is a generic brochure and not specific to Shaunavon. It is for information purposes regarding acceptable recyclable products only.
NOTE: Plastic Film IS ALLOWED in your blue Triways recycling cart (plastic bags, cling wrap, cellophane).
• IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE A TOTE please contact the Town Office at 306-297-2605
The TRIWAYS blue recycling totes and the recycling service have been made available at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE to the residents of the Town of Shaunavon.
• Totes were delivered to occupied households only, if property becomes inhabited in future, please call the Town Office to arrange for delivery of a recycling tote.
• Businesses are encouraged to pursue their options with various recycling service providers
• Residents who wish to have more frequent pick ups of their recycling must make arrangements directly with Triways Disposal Service (306-773-7575). Charges for additional pick ups are the responsibility of the resident.
• The SARCAN Recycling Depot will continue to operate as normal.
• Southwest Waste Management will continue to offer Single Stream Recycling at the south end of Centre Street and at the Landfill (AWS Red Bins). PLEASE NOTE: See information below regarding items accepted for recycling in the Red Bins (AWS).
The Town of Shaunavon anticipates that this service will help to make recycling easier and more accessible for our residents and will help to reduce the amount of waste being sent to the landfill.
Thank you for recycling!
SOUTHWEST WASTE MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY REGIONAL LANDFILL
LOCATION: Highway 13 - Dollard, SK
Landfill phone number 306-297-4020
Open Monday through Friday – 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed Sundays and Statutory Holidays
Southwest Waste Management Rates
Accepted & Rejected Items
Where To Recycle
AWS SINGLE STREAM RECYCLING (Red Bins):
NOTICE REGARDING AWS RECYCLING BINS (Red Bins)
we have been advised by our recycle plant, that they can no longer accept Plastic Film. What we have been told plastic film is (any stretchy type of plastic and the below listed items)
- plastic bags (Bread bags, sandwich bags) - food wrap (Saran or cling wrap) - cellophane wrapping or packaging - grocery bags
WHAT CAN I RECYCLE?
- Loose Paper and Cardboard (Newspapers, Inserts and Flyers, TV guides, Boxboard, Envelopes, Junk Mail, Magazines, Paper Bags, Phone books, Pizza Boxes, Writing Paper and Corrugated Cardboard)
- Aluminum (Clean Aluminum Foil and Clean Foil Containers)
- Metal (All clean and dry food and beverage cans and tins)
- Plastic (All rigid bottles, tubs, milk jugs - any containers with recycling labelled with #1-#7)
- Refundable Beverage Containers (All beverage containers)
Non Acceptable Materials:
- Plastic Film: Plastic bags (Bread bags, sandwich bags), food wrap (Saran or cling wrap), cellophane wrapping or packaging, grocery bags
- Hazardous Materials (Paint Cans, aerosols, lighters, car batteries, or oil)
- Electronics (these items can be recycled properly at SARCAN)
- Houseware items (drinking glasses, garden hoses, mirrors, light bulbs, ceramics, utensils and appliances)
- Foam (Cups, food containers, egg cartons or packaging)
- Plastic that is NOT a container (CD Cases, pens, straws, forks, spoons, knives)
- Mixed Packaging (Deodorant sticks, toothpaste tubes, frozen juice containers, or anything made with more than one material)
- Contaminated Containers (Nothing with food, chemical or liquid remnants)
- Building Materials (Wood, drywall, tile, nails, concrete, bricks, vinyl siding, etc)
- Scrap Metal (Metal items can be recycled for a refund at Swift Current Steel)
- Waxed Cardboard
IF IN DOUBT, LEAVE IT OUT!
BATTERIES: Recycling for household batteries - Free - Please bring batteries to Landfill Office
If you have questions or require further information, please call the Landfill Office 306-297-4020
NEW LOCATIONS ALLOCATED FOR FRONT-SIDE GARBAGE PICKUP
Please be advised that the Town of Shaunavon has relocated waste collection from the back alley to front-side pick-up for the following locations, effective the week of May 20th, 2019:
NEW FRONT-SIDE PICK UP LOCATIONS IN SHAUNAVON:
• 300 and 400 blocks of 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Street West;
• 600 block of 1st, 2nd , & 3rd Street West;
• All of 9th Street West;
• 7th Avenue from 4th Street West to 9th Street West;
• 300 block of 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Streets East;
• 100 and 200 blocks of 4th and 5th Streets East;
• 600 block of 2nd and 3rd Streets East; and
• Civic Addresses of 595 to 628 Poplar Crescent
YOU SPOKE - WE LISTENED
The Town of Shaunavon engaged the public in regards to changing ALL waste collection to frontside pickup throughout the entire town.
There WILL be residences that, due to safety concerns, must be moved to Frontside Waste Collection by recommendation of Public Works Committee. Please see attached map for these affected locations, highlighted in yellow.
The vote was intended to garner the public’s feedback to move ALL waste collection, not affected by the changes, to frontside waste collection. With over 400 votes, Council has listened to the feedback and has decided to keep back alley waste collection for residences located in areas that the Garbage Truck can safely maneuver.
Notices will be placed on all garbage bins that will need to change to frontside waste collection, effective May 20th.
Thank you to everyone for your input.